Williamsburg Settlement
the prestigious Katy community

JANUARY 17, 2017
A meeting of the Board of Directors of the Williamsburg Settlement Maintenance Association, Inc. was held on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 5:30 P.M. at the Williamsburg Settlement clubhouse, 1602 Hoyt, Katy, Texas 77449.


Board Members present were: Floyd Ball, Anitra Ondrush, Dave Ellis, Katy Hall, Martin Spears, Jim Calvert and Larry Crain.

Also in attendance was Dolores Sue representing Crest Management, and Sherriff Officer Wilburn.

With a quorum being established, the meeting was called to order at 5:32 p.m.  


There were three (3) homeowners present at the meeting. One homeowner reported that his vehicle was broken into approximately one year ago. Then on January 4, 2017 he heard a vehicle idling outside his home at approximately midnight. Seven or eight days later he again heard a vehicle idling. He followed that vehicle and called the Sherriff’s office which reported it to have been stolen. To cut down late-hour incursions into our subdivision he would like the Board to investigate installing gates at the two Colonial Parkway Entrances and cameras at all entrances to capture license tags. Further he would like to ensure that our patrol service is active between midnight and 4:00 a.m. 


Martin Spears reported it had again been a quiet month. One of the homeowners in attendance suggested that it might be nice to have a neighborhood watch to supplement our security patrol, which although covering the prime hours cannot be on all streets 24 hours per day.


Dave Ellis presented a detailed report on the December, 2016 financials. As of December 31, 2016 the money in the bank totaled $529,249.15. This figure includes checking, savings accounts and CD’s and is the money to cover both operating expenses and the necessary reserve to fund maintenance and replacement of the Association’s capital assets. Dave Ellis has instructed Crest to transfer $150,000.00 to the Alliance bank money market account to increase the interest earned on the accumulating 2017 maintenance fees until they are needed later in the year.. There is also a $50,000 CD at Icon bank that will mature at the end of January and the Board agreed that Dave Ellis should renew this CD for a duration that provides the best interest rate available at the time of expiration. The delinquency total as of December 31, 2016 was $14,559.02


Report on Projects Completed since November meeting - In December it became apparent that the pool was leaking a serious amount of water. The Board contracted with American Leak Detection and Repair to locate and repair these leaks. The test revealed 13 leaks during the initial testing and two additional during the repair phase. This work has now been completed.

The Association was required by the MUDs to provide inspection reports for the sprinkler backflow preventer assemblies. Inspection of these assemblies revealed that 2 required repair and 3 had to be replaced. This work was completed and the reports submitted.


Decisions Taken by Email Vote since the Last Meeting -

A. November 15, 2017 minutes were approved.  
B. American Leak Detection and Repair was contracted to detect and repair pool leaks for a total price of $11,250.00.
C. Hydrological Solutions was contracted to power wash the tennis courts and power wash and spray the landscape borders at the recreation center to delay further algae growth for a total price of $908.22.
D Mike Ball (No relation to Floyd Ball!) was contracted to repair or replace as necessary all 5 backflow preventer assemblies at a price of $3,800.00 and Continental Irrigation was contracted to conduct the tests for a price of $375.00
E. The decision was made to not send reminder notices to homeowners with delinquent accounts in February as these would cost the homeowners $20.00 each in addition to the $30 demand letters that will follow if the delinquency persists.

Perimeter Fence - Floyd Ball reported that the only remaining perimeter fence that needs to be replaced is that along our West border. Of this there are 565 feet where we have no neighbors, 528 feet which we now share with Roots of Learning and 846 feet which we share with the Grand Parkway Apartments, however, our Association still owns the entire fence. But to offset the replacement expense, cost sharing negotiations have been conducted with these two neighbors. As a result, Roots of Learning has agreed to share the cost of the fence replacement and as of the meeting the Board was awaiting a response from the Grand Parkway Apartments.

A motion to approve the replacement of the fence along the area not shared with neighbors as well as the section shared with Roots of Learning, and to extend this to the Grand Parkway Apartments section if and when they agree to share the cost, was made by Floyd Ball seconded by Jim Calvert and unanimously approved. (Note: Subsequent to the meeting Grand Parkway Apartments agreed to contribute $3,000.00 this year, which will fund 50% of 268 feet with the balance to fund the remaining 578 Feet to be provided in 2018).

Annual Meeting/ Pool Memo - The Board reviewed the drafts of the annual meeting notice, proxy/ballot and the pool memo to be mailed with the notice. A motion to approve the drafts was made by Dave Ellis, seconded by Anitra Onrush and unanimously approved. The dates for pool tag registration will be Saturday, March 18, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. and Sunday, March 26, 2017 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Other Business to Come Before the Board -

Safety Inspection

Dave Ellis raised the issue of conducting a safety inspection of the clubhouse to ensure that all precautions are being taken for the continued protection of those who use these facilities. It was unanimously agreed that Martin Spears, Katy Hall and Dave Ellis will conduct such an inspection and report back to the Board with any recommendations at the next meeting. 

Board Position Candidates

Chris Cox had expressed his desire to place his name on the ballot. Bryan Faircloth is considering placing his name on the official ballot. He will contact Dolores with Crest to confirm if he is interested.

Possible Easter Egg Hunt  

Anitra Ondrush suggested that he Board consider holding an Easter Egg Hunt for the community this year, perhaps holding the event at the Spark Park. Anitra was asked to put together a proposal for the Board’s consideration so that a vote can be taken by email.  

Chickens in Neighborhood

A resident stated that he noticed a chicken in the neighborhood. He does not know who might have chickens but clearly this is prohibited by our deed restrictions (ARTICLE 11). 


With no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was adjourned into executive session at 6:40 p.m.

Delinquencies - The Board discussed delinquencies. They also discussed a judgment that is in place and agreed to continue to fund its renewal.

Perimeter Fence Project - A motion was made by Anitra Ondrush, seconded by Dave Ellis and approved with one abstention to accept the contract submitted by Traditional Outdoor Living for the fence replacement discussed earlier in the meeting at a price of $22.35 per linear foot. Larry Crain will communicate this decision to this company and to the unsuccessful bidder.

Architectural Application - The Board discussed one particular application that does not conform to the community standards. The Board unanimously denied the application. To be approved, the owner will have to re submit with plans which adhere to the published architectural guidelines.

There was a request for the installation of a play structure. The Board unanimously approved this request.

Deed Restriction Violations - The Board reviewed the violation report. It was unanimously approved that the Board would delay sending to the Association attorney those accounts which have already received a demand letter this month. However, Crest was instructed to send one more final demand to each. This will provide opportunity for them to address their respective issues before the next inspection.


The next Board meeting will be held on February 21, 2017 at the community clubhouse.

With no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 7:43 p.m.