Williamsburg Settlement
the prestigious Katy community

JANUARY 15, 2019
A meeting of the Board of Directors of the Williamsburg Settlement Maintenance Association, Inc. was held on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 5:30 P.M. at the Williamsburg Settlement clubhouse, 1602 Hoyt, Katy, Texas 77449.


Board Members present were: Dave Ellis, Jim Calvert, Ed Shipley, CO Holt, Chris Cox, and Bill Petry.

Also, in attendance was Cindy Bojé representing Crest Management, along with Sheriff Deputy Chad King.

With a quorum being established the meeting was called to order at 5:30 P.M. 


Due to the Board not meeting in December, the minutes for the November 20, 2018 Board Meeting were presented via email and a motion was made, seconded, and unanimously carried to accept the minutes without change.


There were five homeowners present.  

One homeowner requested that the Board obtain a proposal from the Precinct 5 Constable to provide security for the Association. Dave Ellis pointed out that for our Association to change to one of the standard contracts offered by either the Constable’s or the Sheriff’s office would cost considerably more than what we are now paying and would give us less flexibility than we have under the current contract with the off-duty Sheriff’s deputies. Furthermore MUD 61 is currently considering whether it, in conjunction with MUD 62, should contract with the Sheriff’s office to provide neighborhood security patrols. CO Holt stated that if the MUDs do take over this function then the Association would have to reduce or terminate its patrols. As this issue may be decided within the next few months it does not seem to be an appropriate time for the Association to consider changing to patrols by the Constable’s deputies. Dave mentioned that he attended the last MUD 62 meeting at which security was discussed and it was clear that discussions with MUD 61 are still in their early stages and no decision would be reached prior to the January 31, 2019 expiration of our current patrol contract.

Katy Hall was present representing the swim team but did not have any concerns to address with the Board.

One homeowner was present to express his concerns with the trash service provider. He has been in contact with Texas Pride and made it aware of some problems that he has experienced and he wanted to share this information with the Board. He initially asked the Board to consider eliminating garage door trash pickup based on what he thought was the charge for this service. However, when he was given the correct information he withdrew his request.

One homeowner discussed her yard being torn up due to the re-piping and inquired as to when the damage will be repaired. The Board advised her to direct her inquiry to MUD 61 as the re-piping project is its responsibility.


CO Holt, our security liaison, and Deputy Chad King reported that there were no unusual problems during December and our community continues to enjoy a very low crime rate. A copy of the monthly sheriff report was included in the meeting packets.


Committee Chairman, Floyd Ball, was absent but sent a report via email stating that of the two new homeowners on the 2019 list; just one had been visited to date as the other new owner had not yet moved in. Jim Calvert is assisting Floyd with this welcoming function. A copy of the activity report was included in the meeting packets.  


Dave Ellis presented a detailed report on the December 31, 2018 financials. As of this date, the money in the bank totaled $666,900.63. This figure includes checking, money market accounts and CD’s which are the funds required to cover both operating expenses and the necessary reserve to fund maintenance and replacement of the Association’s capital assets. The delinquency total as of December 31, 2018 was $7,026.17.


Decisions taken by email vote since the last meeting:
a.Approval of November 20, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes.
b.Approval of Landscaping repairs to one of the Vobe Cul-de-sac Islands in the amount of $190. However, subsequent to this approval ESD 48 accepted responsibility for the damage and agreed to fund the repair,

A motion was made, seconded, and unanimously carried to ratify the items voted on by the Board outside of a Board meeting.  

Community Events - Chris Cox provided a list of candidate community events for 2019. These include two garage sales, an Easter egg hunt in conjunction with Holy Covenant church, a Spring car show, Splash Day and Veterans Parade, National Night Out, a Fall car show, Christmas light contest, and a possible Christmas event at the clubhouse. More information will become available as the events draw nearer.  


Perimeter Fence Inspection Report - CO Holt and Bill Petry stated that the next fence inspection will be conducted in the first quarter. Bill will make further contact with the owner of the overgrown property bordering the East side of our fence and the commercial buildings along Mason Road. The owner had agreed to cut the overgrown vegetation along our fence when the ground had dried. CO reported that the crepe myrtles at our entrances that were damaging the flags when at half-staff have been trimmed. 

Consider New Board Member Candidates - As no one has contacted the Board or Crest Management, there are currently no volunteers to fill the Board vacancy.  

2019 Contract Renewals
a.Security – January 31, 2019 – A copy of the contract renewal was provided in the meeting packets. After a discussion on the contract price, flexibility, and service provided by Deputy Chad King and his team, a motion was made, seconded, and carried to approve the renewal for 2019. It was noted that this contract does contain a 30 day termination clause which could be invoked in the event that the MUDs do begin security patrols before January 31 2020.

b.Security Insurance – January 31, 2019 – A copy of the insurance renewal was provided, and it was approved as submitted.

c.Pest Control – May 15, 2019 – Dave requested that Cindy obtain the renewal proposal from Cypress Creek Pest Control.

MUD 62 Water Rate - Dave Ellis reported that he attended the MUD 62 January 11 board meeting to request that the charge to the Association for water used by the sprinklers at the Gatwick entrance be changed from its commercial to its residential rate. Dave believed that the request was well received and he hopes that the MUD 62 board will approve it at its next meeting.

ADJOURNMENT TO EXECUTIVE SESSION – With no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was adjourned into executive session at 7:04 P.M.

Delinquencies – Four accounts remain on the trash suspension list.

Exterior Modification Report – A copy of the year-to-date report was included in the meeting packets for the Board’s reference. 

Deed Restriction Enforcement – Jim Calvert reviewed the Enforcement Action Report with the Board. After review, the Board approved sending one final demand. At next month’s meeting, should the violation still exist, the Board will make a decision on attorney enforcement.  

Attorney Action Report – Jim Calvert reviewed the Attorney Action Report with the Board. After review, the Board approved sending three homeowners, 2530103024, 2530102036, 2530213015, to the Association attorney for enforcement. One account was placed on hold due to the homeowner making efforts to correcting the violation.  


The next meeting will be held on February 19, 2019 at the community clubhouse.

With no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 P.M